BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Unofficial Stop: Brown's - July 11, 2009

On our way back from Cape Elizabeth, ME, Rich, Andrea and I stopped at Brown's Ice Cream in York, ME, which the Boston Globe felt was one of the best in New England. Brown's is built behind a huge rock, which was really cool. You had to walk down the rock to get to the order window.

For the number of available flavors, Brown's gets 10/10. There were probably about 40 flavors listed, both traditional and creative, such as Blue Earth, Indian Pudding, and Winterberry. I got chocolate peanut butter frozen yogurt, which was really creamy with the perfect amount of peanut butter. Unfortunately I didn't notice Blue Earth until I had ordered, but I will definitely go back to try it. It's blue vanilla with oreo and something else in it (I forget exactly what). I give my frozen yogurt 9/10.

Andrea had mint chip explosion, which had a strong mint flavor, chocolate chips, and mini mint patties. We guessed that the mint patties was what distinguished this flavor from the regular mint chocolate chip flavor. Rich got kahlua fudge brownie, which had a strong kahlua flavor and a ton of brownie. The only negative was that the brownie was more like chocolate cake than brownie - it could have been more chewy.

It was $4 for a small, which was about 1 cup of ice cream. Most ice cream shops outside a major city would only be $2-$3 for this amount of ice cream, but Brown's was clearly capitalizing on the summer tourism. However, the ice cream was high quality with a ton of mix-ins and portion sizes were fairly large, so you got what you paid for. We'll definitely be back to try more of the interesting flavors.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

It was also worth it just to watch the people with the enormous cones and sundaes - you definitely get a lot of ice cream.

My ice cream was very good, though I'm not sure it's what I was expecting from the name "explosion". I think I was expecting more chips.

Jennie said...

I would have also thought more chips, especially since the chocolate chip cookie dough was all cookie dough. We need to go back again before it closes for the season.